Monday, November 21, 2011

Political Scene
Report from Congressman Joe Walsh, R-8th District
"This week I will be back in the district, and hosting two town hall meetings. You sent me to Washington, and I believe it's critical that I spend as much time as possible hearing your opinions and concerns. Hearing directly from you helps me accomplish my goal of putting the power back where it belongs: in the hands of the people. Come out and let me know what's on your mind. More information on this week's town hall meetings can be found below.

"Last week in Washington, I voted in favor of the Balanced Budget Amendment that unfortunately did not have the two-thirds needed to move to the Senate. I am disappointed that Democrats killed this landmark legislation. I came to Washington to change the way this town does business. That is why the first bill I ever introduced was a Balanced Budget Amendment. Only a Balanced Budget Amendment will stop Washington’s reckless, unsustainable spending and save future generations from an ever-growing mountain of debt.

"While in Washington, I lead and sent a letter with 39 of my collegues to President Obama asking for Holder's   immediate resignation.  The American people deserve to know the truth regarding Attorney General Eric Holder’s knowledge and role in Operation Fast and Furious.Throughout this investigation, the Attorney General has back-pedaled on his testimony, tried to cover his tracks, and has been unwilling to cooperate with the Congressional investigation. This is simply unacceptable. The Attorney General is supposed to enforce the laws of this nation, not try to break them. It’s time he goes. Click here to view the letter I sent to President Obama.

"I also sent a letter to Illinois Governor Patrick Quinn, Speaker Michael Madigan, and Senator John Cullerton regarding the state’s anti-business environment. High tax rates and unnecessary regulations have crippled Illinois businesses forcing them to move elsewhere. Illinois has the third highest corporate tax rate in the country, has lost 125,700 jobs this year, and private sector job growth has declined by over seven percent.  Look at what these policies have done to Sears Holding Corp, which is now considering relocating from Illinois, where it has been headquartered for the last 100 years and currently employees 20,000 people. As Chairman of the House Small Business Subcommittee on Economic Growth, Tax, and Capital Access, I know small businesses are America’s most effective job creators, but they cannot create jobs in Illinois while the government is punishing them with higher tax rates.Click here to view the letter I sent to Governor Quinn, Speaker, Madigan, and Senator John Cullerton.

"Last week, I also voted in favor of the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act (H.R. 822), which  passed in the House. This vote brings us one step closer to making Illinois a right-to-carry state and allowing Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights across state lines. Currently, Illinois is the only state in this nation that denies its citizens the right-to -carry. I have been on the frontlines of the Second Amendment debate since I came to Congress in January, and will always be an outspoken advocate for Second Amendment rights and particularly, a repeal of Illinois laws preventing the right-to-carry.

"I hope you can join me for my town hall meetings this week. Come out and let me know what is on your mind!"

No comments: