Monday, April 8, 2013

Who Will Voters Choose To Fill Three MCC Slots?

McHENRY COUNTY COLLEGE DISTRICT 528
FOR TRUSTEES OF THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
TO SERVE A 6-YEAR TERM
(Vote for not more than THREE)

CAROL LARSON-Harvard (I)
Some candidates are being backed by money from Chicago organizations...is this what our county needs ?... Those who are controlled by a Chicago machine.? NO
 McHenry County College has ;
- Always had a balanced budget
- Green sustainability
- Proven student success
- Quality staff and Faculty
-Job ready certificates & degrees
and No Building has been approved and NO tax Hikes proposed
Experience counts …Fairness & common sense rule !
I have lived in McHenry County for over 35 years, Helped to farm for 25 years, taught science in district 200 of Woodstock for 24 , have been the president of Harvard lion's club and am a stable member of this College Board.
Forget all the mud slinging campaigns and chest beating that is going on ...remember MCC has it's reputation to speak loudly for the lives it uplifts, educates and enriches.
So , I ask for the logical vote for Carol Larson
MIKE SMITH – Lakewood
I am seeking election to the McHenry County College Board of Trustees on April 9th because I am very passionate about the institution and the vital role it plays throughout our community and for our county's stakeholders.
I started my higher education at a community college, before ultimately achieving my bachelor's degree, my MBA, and certifications as an Accredited Investment Fiduciary (AIF) and AIF Analyst, while working full time and raising a family here in McHenry County.
I firmly believe that community colleges are the future of the national, state and local economies.  MCC, as an institution, should be the crown jewel of McHenry County, providing a quality education at an affordable price and developing a skilled workforce that will bring jobs to our community.  The Board needs to regain the trust and respect of taxpayers with transparency and accountability.
I have deep roots in the community, as my wife of 27 years, Erin, and I have been residents of McHenry County for over 25 years.  We owned our first home in Cary, where we lived for 5 years before buying the home in the Village of Lakewood that we have lived in for the past 20 years.
I believe I bring a unique combination of McHenry County College insight, along with a fresh perspective as a trustee.  I am entering the 4th year of my volunteer service on the Friends of MCC Foundation Board, a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization dedicated to private fund raising and financial support to help students build a future through scholarship opportunities.  I currently serve as the Board President, following 2 years of service as the Treasurer and Finance Committee Chairman.
I fundamentally believe that expansion plans need to involve private funding, public/private partnerships and intergovernmental agreements that align with intelligent capacity planning.  If any potential project even remotely exposes the taxpayers in our community to financial risk, it is imperative to me that the project be presented through a referendum that would require taxpayer approval.
As the President of a Registered Investment Advisory Firm (Plexus Financial Services, LLC) that specializes in the fiduciary oversight of corporate retirement plans, my firm became one of the first Investment Advisor Firms in the country to achieve the Centre for Fiduciary Excellence (CEFEX) ISO certification.  I have the credentials and background to provide prudent oversight of the college budget and the leadership experience to make intelligent policy decisions.
This is a 6-year term and this election should not be about just one issue, experience and leadership capabilities matter.  I would consider it a privilege to serve MCC and our community in this capacity, and I am humbly requesting the support of the voters on April 9th.
ARNE WALTMIRE – McHENRY
No information available to Town Crier
WILLIAM SCOTT ALFORD – WONDER LAKE
No information available to Town Crier
MOLLY WALSH – CRYSTAL LAKE
I am running for the McHenry County College Board Trustee position because I am passionate about the mission of community colleges. I want to ensure that MCC continues to be a great resource for our community and a remarkable value for our students. I worked for twenty-two years at McHenry County College, retiring in October of 2008. I think my knowledge of MCC’s programs and history will give me a unique perspective on the Board. I have extensive volunteer involvement in our community and have demonstrated an ability to build positive relationships with community members. The College faces many critical decisions such as future expansion and making difficult fiscal choices in future budgets.  I believe that I can work with all the stakeholders (administration, faculty, staff, students and the community) in a constructive, positive manner in 
Molly Walsh
ERIK SIVERTSEN – McHENRY
No information available

THOMAS WILBECK – LAKEWOOD
A 21-year resident of McHenry County, Thomas W. Wilbeck holds an Associate of Arts Degree from Wright City College and BS Degree in Accountancy from Northern Illinois University.
Qualifications for this position
“I am extremely proud of both higher education degrees and I fully understand the benefits that a community college provides.
I am a “people person” with over 40 years of successful business experience in the financial services industry. My sales and sales management experience provides me with a unique set of skills that will benefit the board.
I am a trained listener; I discover needs and provide practical solutions to meet those needs. The board needs some fresh people that will represent the tax payers and provide practical leadership.
Does the college need to expand? If so, what is the best approach and how will you facilitate that growth?
The college currently has a classroom utilization rate of only 45%. The college needs to better utilize its current facilities. It does not need to expand.
I have an A.A. degree along with a B.S in accounting. I am extremely proud of both.  I fully understand the benefits that a community college provides.   I am a "people person".  I have over 40 years of successful business experience in the financial services industry.  My sales and sales management experience provides me with a unique set of skills that will benefit the board.  I am a trained listener, I discover needs, and provide practical solutions to meet those needs.  The board needs some fresh people that will represent the tax payers and provide practical leadership.
I think the use of more on line courses will result in excess classroom capacity in the future.  This excess capacity can easily be utilized to offer expansion into the health sciences.
The programs most important to students today and how the college can incorporate more of them into its current curriculum.
A recent Georgetown study indicated that 48% of all working college alumni are underemployed. Those graduates have chosen majors where there are no corresponding job openings.  MCC must counsel and guide students into classes that offer careers that are in demand.  The Georgetown study predicts the greatest employment demand over the next decade will be in information sciences, financial services, and health care. MCC should counsel and prepare students for employment in these areas.  By 2018 only 63% of jobs will require some post secondary education.
MCC must also work very closely with employers to provide courses that meet their current and future hiring needs.
How can the college use a limited budget to maximize return?  Are there options for new revenue streams?
The economy is struggling.   New revenue streams are scarce.  Tax payers can no longer be counted upon to carry this heavy burden.  The continual "tax to the max" approach is no longer sustainable.  MCC needs to utilize its current assets and resources more effectively.  The MCC administration should seek health care partners on their own and not thru a third party.  The college must have a working relationship with a health care provider that will be mutually beneficial.

What is one other issue facing the college and how would you address it?
Technology - technology - technology.  MCC must stay ahead of the curve.  Technology if used correctly, can drive down costs. 
CHRIS JENNER – CARY
In my eighth year of service on the Cary D-26 school board. I’ve been on the Policy Committee all eight years, and have been committee chair for six years. I’ve authored many “good governance” policies which will apply just as well at MCC as they have in D-26, including a policy that prohibits the district from incurring debt without voter approval.
The one year I was chair of the D-26 Finance Committee, D-26 had its first balanced budget in several years. I made tough votes to close two D-26 schools -- D-26 had overbuilt, and it was the right thing to do. I’ve taken the Illinois Attorney General’s Open Meetings Act training, and understand and have experience with Roberts Rules of Order.
Additionally, I have over 25 years of customer service and business experience, and training and experience in quality techniques such as Digital Six Sigma. I’ve been personally responsible for budgets as large as $12 million. I also have a long history of volunteer work within Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and D-26
Why I'd like to be elected
MCC is a tremendous asset for the McHenry County community. I’d be honored to contribute to MCC being all it can be. My primary prompting to run for MCC trustee is the Board’s approach to the long term $640 million expansion plan, and the $42 million health sciences facility project. It’s not at all clear either is justified, although with proper study, data, and documentation, it’s possible an expansion of lesser proportion would be needed or appropriate. Effective and efficient use of funds will make MCC’s star shine even brighter.
BARBARA WALTERS – I
CRYSTAL LAKE
Miss Walters has served McHenry County College residents since 2010 and is seeking re-election. The Town Crier was unable to make contact with her for more information.

No comments: