Monday, November 8, 2010

MCC Trustee Kurtz Resigns From MCC Board To Serve As McHenry County Board Member

President Vicky Smith                                              November 5, 2010
McHenry County College

8900 US Hwy 14
Crystal Lake, Illinois 60012-2738

Dr. Smith,

On November 2, 2010 I was elected to the McHenry County Board.  I will be sworn in as a member of that body on December 6, 2010.   As you know, two years remain on my six year term as a McHenry County College board member.  In light of this situation I requested an opinion from the State’s Attorney to address any legal considerations this may have caused.

I have been informed that Illinois law will not permit me to serve in both of these elected positions at the same time.  Following a discussion with our College Board attorney, I further understand that under the Community College Act, any MCC trustee position that becomes vacant more than four months before the April election must be placed on the April 2011 ballot even if the original term was to run through the April 2011 election.  In addition, during the time prior to the seating of a newly elected board member any vacancy must be filled within 60 days with a temporary appointment. 

In order to ensure that the community has sufficient time to respond and fill this vacancy permanently with a qualified and capable individual, through election rather than appointment, I am, with a certain amount of regret, resigning from the McHenry County College Board of Trustees, effective immediately.  It is my hope that this will facilitate the electoral process and an orderly transition for the College.

In closing, I am proud of the contributions MCC has made to our community since 2005 when I first joined the board.  I have greatly enjoyed and been honored to serve my constituents as a College Board Trustee and I look forward to the new challenges that await me as a County Board Member.  I wish you and the MCC Board of Trustees much success in continuing to meet the needs of our community and our students in the years ahead.

Sincerely,

Donna Kurtz
 

No comments: