Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Grateful For Education From Mal Bellairs

It is with sadness that I learn of the passing of an important figure in the broadcast industry, Mal Bellairs. He is also an important  individual in my journalistic career. He introduced me to working in radio. Shortly after he began broadcasting on the Crystal Lake radio station he purchased, he contacted the then, Woodstock Daily Sentinel, to work out an agreement for local news headlines as a bit of promotion for the newspaper. As Crystal Lake correspondent for the paper and working part-time in the newsroom, I was handed the assignment and from there I was introduced into the broadcast world.

A bit later he asked me to work for him as News Director. That was another five years of pure enjoyment.

Later on when I decided to attend graduate school and was admitted to Penn State, I was able to volunteer for the Public Radio Station, and then worked part-time as the news director.  Another position, I thoroughly enjoyed. And all this because Mal Bellairs wanted local news and was willing to educate.

I am truly thankful for all the help he provided me for an enjoyable time in my life.

Iris Bryan
aka Town Crier

1 comment:

Bob Stern said...

Iris,
Don't know if you remember me but I am Bob Stern who worked with you and Mal et al from 1976-79 as an on air personality on WXRD. I too am saddened by Mal's passing and found out from Rick Bellairs through Facebook. You were also pretty much of a legend yourself Iris. Hope all is well and the sentiments were great.
Bob Stern